These quick pickled carrots are a perfect addition to boost flavor in a variety of dishes. Try them on tacos, some BBQ tofu (as pictured) or any Asian dish. I used a mason jar to pickle these but I didn’t boil it first. Just make sure whatever container you use can withstand boiled vinegar. Don’t be too worried about boiling your container (unless you plan on keeping these around for awhile).
These pickles are something I’d start at lunch time and serve with dinner. If you’ve got some daikon through that in too!
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp lime juice
- 6 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp chopped ginger
- Matchstick the about 3 carrots or just buy some matchsticked carrots :D
- Cutting carrots into matchsticks isn't incredibly hard but it can be tedious. I like to cut the carrot in half lengthwise, then cut approximately 4-5 sections about 1-1.5" in length. Then I sliced the broad side of the carrot sections into as many thin layers as I can get. Then cut those thin layers vertically. Voila!
- Place the carrot in a container that can handle a hot liquid.
- Boil the remaining ingredients, including ginger.
- After the liquid ingredients have reached a boil, remove from heat, and pour over the matchsticked carrots.
- Seal your container and allow to stand for at least 1 hour. I let these sit for about 4 hours.