This is one of my favorite pickled items. It goes great atop a taco, burrito or falafel. I’ve also heard it mentioned as a side to a cashew mac n cheese, maybe that’s where you’ll be adding it? Add your own twist to it with some matchstick carrots or whatever you’re feeling! We tweaked our last batch with a little sugar.
We estimated 1 small head of purple cabbage would fill approximately 2 quart jars.
- 2 small purple cabbages
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/2 gallon white vinegar
- 1 cup diced onions
- 3-5 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped hot pepper
- 3 quart glass jars
- Dice up the cabbage, removing the core and outer 2 layers, into small chunks. You could also shred the cabbage.
- Chop up the remaining vegetables.
- Fill a large pot with water, bring to a boil and add your jars. Add your lids to a smaller pot of boiling water
- In another large pot add the vinegar and salt then bring to a boil. Important to note here that you need non-iodized salt! Regular table salt might compromise your product. So find a salt without caking agents and iodine and/or just go get some pickling salt.
- Once your vinegar mixture has hit a boil, and your jars have boiled for a minute or so, remove a jar and begin packing the goodies in!
- Try to evenly distribute the mixture of vegetables you have between the 3 jars.
- Once everything is packed in nice & tight just add the vinegar mixture with a ladle or measuring cup.
- Fill it to the brim, add your lid, and seal it.
- Let this sit for about a week before opening it back up. You can refrigerate the jars but it's not necessary